Job Opportunity - Playground Designer
13 June 2019
Are you interested in working for a leading design and build company that specialise in timber playground equipment? TouchWood Play are looking for a passionate and technically strong designer to be part of a small and focussed team who create beautiful natural playscapes in schools, public parks and more.
We're looking for a talented 3D designer to work with clients, kids and colleagues to turn great ideas into practical, safe, deliverable reality. You will be working closely with our manufacturing and install team to deliver projects on time and on budget. From sketching out initial ideas on paper, through to 3D modelling, costing and adapting to any on-site quirks.
Perhaps you’ll join us from a formal landscape or product design background, or perhaps you’ve got other appropriate experience in sculpture, festivals, set design, fine art, or construction?
You’ll have knowledge and experience of practical and technical issues relating specifically to surfacing, timber construction and more generally to landscape design. It would be beneficial for you to have an understanding of regulations and guidance about play provision including inclusive design; designing in risk and challenge; and industry standards.
So, if you’re a first-rate designer, with a passion for working with wood and getting out of doors, we want to meet you.
You feel a real connection with the great outdoors, the magic of the woods and you have an appreciation for the beauty of natural materials. Your creative skills are well developed and you want to use them to create and improve play spaces and constructions.
If you’re going to turn your talents to the design of bespoke playspaces, you’ll need:
- Advanced 3D modelling software skills – in Sketch Up and LayOut.
- Understanding of the structural and technical requirements of timber structures – ‘how they fix together’.
- Practical, hands-on landscaping or construction experience – in work or in life.
- Autonomy, self-motivation
- Strong project management skills, with experience of using Microsoft Excel (or similar) to manage and organise the delivery of small and large projects.
- Ability to sketch out ideas on paper and present to the team or a client.
- A cracking design portfolio to prove your abilities.
- The empathy, adaptability and communication skills to work well with people from all backgrounds.
- An appreciation of the importance of designing to industry guidelines and standards.
Want to apply, but missing a bit?
Surprise us. We’re taking a creative approach with this appointment, and we’re prepared to be persuaded. Use your imagination and make us believe in you – sometimes the best applications are showing, not telling!
The closing date for applications is Thursday 30th June 2019.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £23,000 to £30,000 year depending on skills & experience